Master of Data Science Degree Programs (MS)
One of the most popular fields for upcoming data science professionals is within the area of business. Most professionals at this level hold a masters degree, which is a great place to start for those that want to be involved.
Our team of educational experts has created this guide to help you better understand the Masters in Data Science program, what is consists of, and the possibilities that could be available to you after you have completed your degree program.
Online Data Science Programs
One of the most attractive attributes of the Masters in Data Science program is that it can be completed in an online setting. For prospective students that have already obtained full-time jobs or for those that are looking for a change of pace, there is truly no better option for advanced education than online. Online degree programs are new and innovative in their own way, which has helped to change the way that college degrees are delivered all over the country.
Most online Masters in Data Science programs can be completed in around 2 years on average. Students that may be forced to balance their degree program with a busy professional life may also have the option to take courses at a part-time rate, which could increase the amount of time they spend in their degree program, but allow the flexibility and versatility needed to maintain a normal way of life.
What Makes a Masters in Data Science Unique?
If you have never taken a college course online, you might be pleased to discover that online college classes are just as helpful and user-friendly as those in a traditional setting. The Masters in Data Science program may consist of individual projects, research opportunities, and group discussions that can help to expand your knowledge of each subject. Online courses may also consist of due-date structures that are designed to allow you to complete and turn in homework at your own pace.
Since a lot of course work at this degree level may consist of performing data analyses and intense problem-solving, you might find that a lot of your work is done individually. Online students may have the opportunity to gain more self-discipline with their studies, which can contribute to how effective they are as professionals after graduation.
Universities with Masters in Data Science Programs
The college that you choose for your education can be the leading factor in how well you do within your educational program. Great quality educational programs can be found in various states throughout the country - all with very different methods for delivering the information for this masters program. Our team has reviewed some of the top schools in the country to give you a better outlook on what is available for you.
The list below shows some of the most reputable schools available for the Masters in Data Science program. Each has different credit hour requirements, but most average out to an estimated completion time of around 2 years. Take a look at the list below to see what is out there for this degree subject.
- The University of Notre Dame: MS in Data Science
- The University of Massachusetts - Amherst: MS with Data Science concentration
- Worchester Polytechnic University: MS in Data Science
- The University of Nebraska - Omaha: MS with Data Science concentration
- Columbia University - New York: MS in Data Science
Typical Master’s-Level Courses in Data Science and Analytics
Within the degree programs above, you might be expected to take courses that touch on the IT side of data science, as well as a dive into advanced statistics and other business-related courses. Each course within this degree program was created to give you topics that are relevant to the field you may be working in, as well as touch upon the different fields that can be affected by those in this line of work.
As you can see below, the courses are built around the need for precise skills within the field of computer science, as well as the skills needed to provide an accurate analysis on large quantities of data. This field is very creative and analytical on its own, making the need for diverse course work extreme for those involved.
- Data Science: Students that enroll in this course can blend concepts from subject areas such as computer information systems, engineering, and mathematics in order to learn skills that are relevant to analyzing data. Some of the topics discussed in this course may include data analysis, statistical modeling, and machine learning.
- Data Visualization: This course seeks to educate students on how to use predetermined methods and techniques to create effective visualizations. Topics from graphic design and cognitive science may be pulled in to help students create visually relevant work that is suitable for their field of expertise.
- Optimization: In the business field, courses such as Optimization are useful in helping students learn methods for optimization such as network optimization, decision trees, and integer programming. Each of these methods provide a solid backing for students that are looking to assist in the development of more efficient programming in the field of business.
Career Options and Salary Info
Professionals in data science may have the option to pursue different areas of expertise in society. Data science professionals may be needed to analyze large sums of financial data for large-scale corporations, be responsible for analyzing patient data for well-known hospitals, or working in software improvement companies that focus on the need for precision data processing.
Regardless of which area you seek, there may be numerous opportunities for you once you have completed your masters program. Our team of educational experts has provided some verified income data below for some of the most popular careers within this field.